10 Reasons You Need a Fee-Only Financial Advisor
1. You do not have the time to devote to your finances, and they are suffering from neglect. This is the #1 reason our clients hire us. Life is very busy, and there are only 24 hours in a day. Although most of our clients are capable of managing their own finances, they prefer to spend their limited amount of free time on more important things rather than worrying about money.
2. You want to work with someone with very high ethical standards – someone you can trust. Many people have had bad experiences with brokers and large investment firms. You deserve much better. It is our belief that you should work with an advisor who is not compensated by commissions, so you will know he or she is working solely for your best interest and has no hidden agendas.
3. You are getting close to retirement and you want to know that you are “on-track” and can afford to retire. Our retirement projections are prepared collaboratively with our clients, and they reflect many different scenarios. They are much more detailed than the retirement projections available on mainstream financial websites. We update the projections each year to keep them flexible and current.
4. You are overwhelmed by the recent changes in the tax laws, retirement plans, estate taxes, and college funding choices. You need someone who understands the implications of the changes, and can give you advice that is personalized for your situation.
5. You want an expert to manage your investments. You have realized that managing your own money often triggers too many emotions, such as deciding whether you should buy or sell investments when the stock market and economy are in a downward spiral.
6. You want to clarify your personal goals and have a financial plan that supports those goals. Although money does not buy happiness, having sufficient money can provide the freedom and time to pursue activities that increase your happiness. Financial security provides many benefits.
7. Your financial situation has become more complex as you have accumulated more money. As the amount of your money grows, it becomes increasingly more difficult and more stressful to manage on your own. The benefits we provide include designing a portfolio that matches your risk tolerance, followed by ongoing rebalancing and investment management. We become partners with our clients, managing their investments so they can achieve their goals.
8. You have important decisions to make, and you don’t know where to begin. For example, deciding between a lump sum distribution or an annuity for your employer’s retirement plan, an inheritance, whether to buy long-term care insurance, whether to start distributions from an IRA, when to start receiving social security benefits, how to fund your child’s or grandchild’s college education, etc.
9. You feel that you are saving and doing all the right things, but your assets are not growing as they should. Unfortunately, we see this dynamic too often with new clients. Your money should be working for you and growing. If it is not, it is time for a change.
10. You are overwhelmed by too much financial information in magazines, on TV, or on the internet, and it is impossible to filter the useful information from the damaging sales pitches. There is a considerable amount of “financial pornography” in the press and on the internet. Our clients read many financial articles, but it is our job to stay on top of the latest strategies for retirement income, investments, tax planning, etc.